When you are asking what are GAF shingles, it’s just as important to compare this brand of shingles with other options in the industry. GAF is a reputable brand trusted by roofing contractors across the United States. But there are also many other architectural shingles that offer a range of benefits for quality roofing installation.
Today, we will break down the most important details to consider when choosing shingles for your home. Additionally, we are going to compare two of the most popular shingle manufacturers: GAF and Owens Corning.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Roofing Shingles
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for every roofing installation. Instead, you need to think about your project goals, how long you are planning to live in the home, and unique weather patterns that could affect the durability of your roof. When you are working with a trusted roofing contractor, such as Magnolia Home Remodeling Group, you can access personalized recommendations to improve the outcome of your project.
Here are a few of the most important details that you need to consider when you are in the market to buy roofing shingles:
- Aesthetics: You want to make sure your new roof looks good with the rest of your home, which is why many homeowners start talking about aesthetics. The good news is that roofing shingles come in a variety of styles and designs, so you can customize the roof to match your unique needs.
- Brand: One reason why people ask what are GAF shingles is that they aren’t familiar with the different brands in the roofing industry. GAF is one of the most trusted brands and has a great reputation for quality materials. Owens Corning is another top-notch choice for your roofing materials.
- Roof Slope: The pitch of your roof affects the performance of the shingles. You need to make sure that the roof can drain water to reduce the risk of water damage inside. Most homes in the United States have steep roofs, which means that water usually isn’t an issue. But if your roof pitch is low, then make sure you are using the right specialized products that will withstand pooling water.
- Endurance: How well will the shingles hold up against a variety of weather conditions outside? It doesn’t matter if the sun is beating down, hail is falling from the sky, or it’s a season of winter snow and ice. You need roofing shingles that offer wind resistance, impact resistance, waterproofing, and more.
- Durability: Consider the anticipated lifespan of the shingles that you are choosing. When you ask what are GAF shingles, also learn about the unique features that extend the lifespan of these products. For example, certain shingles only have a 25-year warranty, while others have a limited lifetime warranty.
- Warranty Coverage: Always make sure you are choosing materials that come with warranty coverage. Also, check to ensure the installation is correct to maintain the limited warranty. For example, certain types of shingles require installation from a certified team to ensure the performance of the roofing system.
- Energy Efficiency: One motivation for installing a new roof might be to improve the insulation in your home. This added barrier protects the indoor climate from the changing temperatures outside. Improving energy efficiency is a beneficial step to reduce your utility bills and decrease your carbon footprint. Talk to local roofing contractors to find the optimal energy-efficient products for your new roof installation.
- Shingle Weight: Even though each shingle might seem lightweight, the combined weight could have an impact on your home. Make sure your roofing contractor considers the overall weight of the new roof to ensure that there are no structural concerns. Your home needs to be able to support the added weight from the upgraded materials.
- Maintenance Requirements: Is there anything that you need to do for maintenance in the coming years? Most roofing shingles are set-and-forget, which means you don’t have to climb onto the roof for maintenance purposes. It’s always good to check on the maintenance requirements, so you know what to expect down the road.
- Cost of Materials: There is a broad range of prices, depending on the types of shingles that you are choosing. In addition to the shingles cost, you also need pricing on other materials such as nails, lining, and more. While many homeowners are cost-sensitive, don’t make the mistake of sacrificing the quality of shingles because you are trying to save a few bucks. Instead of only looking at the bottom line, also consider the value you receive from your selected materials.
- Cost of Labor: Additionally, ask the roofing contractor about labor and other costs that might be included in the estimate. Make sure that your proposal is all-inclusive of everything, including installation services, removing the old shingles, weatherproofing, disposing of the used shingles, and more.
- Unique Features: Certain features might be helpful to meet your goals for the installation, such as solar reflective shingles, ridge cap shingles, a ridge vent, and more.
As you can see, asking the question, what are GAF shingles, is just the beginning of your education about the roofing industry. Learning more about the available products is the best thing you can do to ensure that you are satisfied with the results when we are finished with the installation.
Comparing GAF and Owens Corning
While GAF is one of the leading shingle manufacturers, don’t underestimate the benefits available from other roofing material manufacturers – such as Owens Corning. Here are a few comparisons to help you choose between these two brands:
- GAF Shingles: What are what are GAF shingles? These shingles set the bar in the roofing industry. The materials are long-lasting and reliable, included in a lifetime roofing system that is built to withstand harsh weather conditions. The Timberline shingles are the foundation of the package, with other essential features such as ridge cap shingles for ridges and vents. Additionally, this shingle system comes with roof deck paper, starter strips, and leak barriers to protect the valleys in the roof design.
- Owens Corning: If you choose Owens Corning, then you also receive a total protection roofing system. There are various shingle products, materials, and price points depending on the type of system you need. The full system includes starter shingles, a water and ice barrier, and underlayment.
Whether you choose GAF vs. Owens Corning, you can have confidence knowing that you are receiving high-quality products that protect your home in all weather conditions.
One of the biggest benefits of choosing a reputable brand is that both of these roofing manufacturers have many years of experience in the industry. If you need to do a roofing repair 5 or 10 years down the road, then it’s likely that you will be able to get the same shingles since the companies have such a great reputation and quality products.
Choosing A Roofing Contractor
One of the most important decisions you will make about your new roofing installation is to ensure you are working with a trusted roofing contractor. The quality of the installation team will have an undeniable impact on the long-term results you get from your roof. The mastery that comes through a certification program is important to deliver a roof you can trust.
In fact, GAF offers better warranty coverage for contractors who earn the Master Elite certification. This Golden Pledge Warranty ensures that each roof meets the strict GAF roofing standards.
Both GAF and Owens Corning have contractor certifications, which means that the installation team goes through specific training to learn the proper installation techniques. When you are choosing a contractor, ask about the team’s certifications so you can be sure that you are working with an experienced contractor.
Schedule a Consultation with a Local Roofing Contractor
If you are looking for a complete roofing system, then the GAF lifetime roofing system might be the right solution for your home. Talk to us at Magnolia Home Remodeling Group to learn more about special GAF offers and other considerations to help you select the ideal materials for your installation plan.
Our pro team can assist with roofing replacement, which is essential to protect your home from leaking issues that can occur with old, outdated roofs. Additionally, we offer roofing installation if you are working on a brand-new construction project.
At Magnolia Home Remodeling Group, we are here to answer your questions and offer the personalized recommendations you need. Contact us at your convenience to schedule a consultation so we can provide a custom proposal for your project.