Are you building a new house and need to choose a roofing system in New Jersey? Are you looking to replace the shingles on your current home? No matter your reason for choosing new shingles, you are sure to feel overwhelmed by all of the options. While there are several different brands of roofing products, IKO and GAF happen to be some of the most popular choices for shingles.
Which one is best?
There’s no definitive answer to that question because it largely depends on the circumstances of each project. However, we’ll take a look at the benefits of each brand and help you compare IKO vs. GAF shingles. We’ll even make cases for both brands so that you can decide which option is suitable for your roofing job.
Benefits of IKO Shingles
IKO currently offers four different types of asphalt shingles. You can choose from designer, performance, architectural, and traditional 3-tab shingles. Regardless of which line of products you prefer, you can expect several product benefits, including:
- Weather Resistance: Thanks to their innovative designs and durable materials, you can expect your roof to withstand winds up to 130 MPH. The shingles also have a Class 4 impact rating and ice dam protection. Most importantly, they have the highest fire rating.
- Complete Roofing System: The Pro4 Complete Roofing System is one of the biggest reasons homeowners continue to choose IKO. The system features eaves protection, a synthetic underlayment, roof starter strips, and ridge cap shingles.
- Installation Certification Program: IKO knows that the quality of its products largely depends on the quality of the installation. Therefore, the company offers a SheildPRO Plus+ certification program to give installers the knowledge and tools to get the job done correctly.
- Broad Warranty Eligibility: Many shingle manufacturers have critical standards and requirements for their warranties. When you invest in IKO products, you can rest assured that you have significant coverage with fewer eligibility restrictions.
- Cost-Effective Quality: When you compare the relatively affordable price of IKO to the quality of their product, you see how cost-effective their solutions are. These options exceed what you would expect to get at their price point.
Benefits of GAF Shingles
Over the years, GAF has accumulated many awards for its shingles. They currently offer three types of their popular asphalt shingles, so you can choose from their Timberlane, designer, and traditional 3-tab lines. No matter which of the award-winning shingles you prefer, you can enjoy:
- Vast Selection of Colors: If you have a particular color in mind, chances are, GAF has you covered. The manufacturer has one of the most extensive selections of color options for shingles, so you are sure to find something you love.
- Expert Product Designs: GAF puts a lot of time and detail into all of its product lines. Each shingle is intricately designed to give you exceptional appearance, durability, and efficiency.
- Class A Fire Rating: Much like IKO, GAF also offers fire-resistant products. Their safe composition has a Class A fire rating, which is the highest rating they can receive.
- Transferrable Warranties: While many manufacturers offer product warranties, they often don’t transfer to new homeowners. In the event that you would be selling your home, you could provide prospective buyers with peace of mind, knowing that the new roof is covered by warranty.
- Eco-Friendly Products: GAF offers some of the most environmentally conscious roofing products. They manage to provide exceptional protection while limiting their use of natural resources. Instead, they source sustainable materials.
Which Choice is Best for Your Roofing Project?
When comparing IKO vs. GAF shingles, it’s evident that they have many similarities. For that reason, their different features should be the focus when choosing between them.
What is their most significant difference? Price.
When you look at each brand’s comparable products, you will notice that GAF tends to be more expensive. That doesn’t mean that IKO lacks in quality. They still manage to offer a great product at an accessible price point.
In addition to your budget, you should also make your choice based on your:
- Design Style
- Roofing Needs
- Current Roof Design
- Energy Efficiency
- Local Weather
- Material Weight
- And More!
Cases for IKO
Hands down, IKO products are the best option for homeowners working with a limited budget. The brand’s cost-effective solutions leave you with a beautiful, durable roof that you can expect to last for years.
IKO is also the preferred choice for homeowners who want strong warranties. The limited eligibility requirements make it easier for you to get the coverage you deserve.
IKO’s certification process is another reason that homeowners choose their products. Knowing that you can have access to manufacturer-trained installers gives you added peace of mind.
Cases for GAF
If you have more room in your budget to spend on GAF shingles, you’ll love their high-end designs. However, that’s not the only reason to invest in these shingles. We recommend these products for homeowners who want materials that are lightweight but still exceptionally durable.
Another specific case for GAF is for those who plan to sell their home. If you are replacing your home’s roof in hopes of increasing its value and appeal to buyers, you’ll be happy to add in the extra advantage of a transferrable warranty.
Choose Shingles for Your NJ Roofing Project
Do you still need help choosing between IKO vs. GAF shingles? If so, you should work with a team of roofing contractors to see which products best fit your taste, budget, and needs. Fortunately, NJ homeowners don’t have to look far to find expert roofers. Here, at Magnolia Home Remodeling, we have more than 30 years of industry experience, so we know all about the different shingle options.
You can schedule a consultation with our helpful contractors by contacting one of our service representatives. We are available by phone, or you can take a minute to submit your project details through our online form. Either way, we are happy to provide you with more information so that you can make an informed decision!